BRANCHES :Bukit Timah Shopping Centre
Blk 201E Tampines Street 23
RENOWNED ECONOMICS TUTOR
Lessons are fully delivered by Mr Anthony Fok, who was featured on The Sunday Times newspapers as one of Singapore's 'most sought-after Super Tutors'. Quoting from the Sunday Times newspapers, "As he is well known for his ability to deliver results, parents try all means to put their children in his class". Mr Anthony Fok has a Masters degree and is an ex-Ministry of Education (MOE) Education Officer. He has a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) from National Institute of Education (NIE) and is currently pursuing his PhD in Education.
CONDUCIVE CLASSROOM ENVIRONMENT
All lessons are conducted in air-conditioned classrooms, which are fully equipped with the latest technology to aid students' learning.
EXCLUSIVE AND COMPREHENSIVE NOTES
All our students receive comprehensive notes which offers complete coverage of the A level syllabus and exam-smart techniques. These notes are very useful for students to grasp essential Economics concepts for their examinations.
APPLICATION OF ECONOMICS TO THE REAL WORLD
Armed with a repertoire of real-world scenarios to link to the Economics concepts taught, Mr Anthony Fok guides students to learn more about developed countries such as USA and Japan, and developing countries such as China, India and Vietnam. Special focus is also given to the local economy. Recent economic crisis such as the sub-prime crisis and the European debt crisis are also key features in the Economics lessons.
ESSAY WRITING AND CASE STUDY SKILLS
Obtain stellar results in your case study and essay questions by learning the correct techniques of answering to what the Cambridge examiners expect. Learn how to score Level 3 (L3) marks for your essays and discover the secrets to scoring full marks for the data-response type questions in case study.
of JC Economics Education Centre Enjoy
require a bit more help, especially where examinations are
approaching and Mr Anthony Fok is willing to put in more effort to
aid their revision. This is because he is committed to helping his
students excel in economics and attain the results they want.
1. (Almost) 24/7 Guidance at
no additional fees
Students may require extra help outside of lessons when they are doing self-revision. Mr Anthony Fok will be glad to entertain any questions in person after lessons – in fact, he will be more than happy to be able to help. They can also ask him questions over SMS and he tries his best to respond as soon as possible. This will be extremely helpful for those who require instant clarification or face an upcoming test before they attend the next tuition class.
2. Pleasant Learning
Students will be learning in an air-conditioned classroom, and can help themselves to the sweets placed on the tables whenever they find themselves sleepy or unable to concentrate.
3. Flexible Schedule
While no refunds are offered, students who are unable to attend a lesson due to various reasons are able to make arrangements to come for an alternative one within the same week. This is because we understand that students have busy schedules!
4. All-you-need-to-know notes
that are reader-friendly and easy-to-understand
If students find their school’s lecture notes difficult to understand and too thick, they will be glad to receive notes from JC Economics Education Centre. They are meant to speed up the revision process by being brief, succinct and yet comprehensive, great for quick revision sessions right before examinations or tests.
5. Have their work marked
Mr Anthony Fok will mark all students’ work so that he can check on their understanding. This includes both Case Studies and Essays, and they are not limited to the questions he goes through in lessons. Students who do extra practice can feel free to submit their answers for marking as well.
help to shorten the learning process and bridge the gap between
what was taught in schools and what eventually appears in the
national examinations. Students look for me because they want to
achieve their ‘A’ grade and I am confident that I can deliver the
results they want, as long as they work hard together with me.”
Anthony Fok is the founder of JC Economics Education Centre, and
is the only Economics tutor teaching all lessons.Mr Anthony Fok
enjoys sharing his experience as a full time Economics tutor and
has been prominently featured in print (The Straits’ Times, Lianhe
WanBao, The New Paper, TODAY, Singapore Business Review amongst
others) on television (Channel 5) and on radio (938Live).
Mr Anthony Fok is zealous in Economics and Education. He graduated with a Bachelor of Accountancy (Honours) Nanyang Technological University (NTU), and a Masters of Education from Monash University, Australia. He also holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) from National Institute of Education (NIE). He is currently pursuing his PhD in Education, specializing in Economics education, to constantly upgrade himself and develop greater proficiency in teaching.
Wealth of Experience
his distinctive style of teaching, Mr Anthony Fok started JC
Economics Education Centre in 2012. He tutors more than 200
students yearly who have benefitted tremendously from his
coaching. He also used to teach in MOE schools before he became a
full-time private tutor.
Anthony Fok distinguishes himself from other Economics tutors by
catering to learners of various learning styles. He recognizes
that each student has a different way of learning and faces unique
problems. He thus makes use of a variety of teaching methods to
help as many students learn as possible. However, he believes
strongly that interest is crucial for students to succeed in a
particular subject and the very first step towards attaining a
good grade for it. He thus makes his lessons relevant and
fascinating by including anecdotes and real world events. This
allows Economics to come to life instead of remaining as a
lifeless subject students mindlessly study, as if it is pure
memory work. He also focuses on what’s most important for
examinations, the skills and the concepts necessary so that
revision is efficient but comprehensive.
Anthony Fok has found his calling in life as an Economics tutor,
and he believes that passion is crucial for success. This is how
he inspires his students, to love what they do and then do well in
“I enjoy teaching and I am lucky to be able to find great satisfaction in my work.”
How Lessons are Like
Mr Anthony Fok knows what is required to excel at the examinations. He will help bridge the gap between school’s teaching and the questions students face during tests. This speeds up the learning process, making Economics less painful and even enjoyable to study.
1: A Strong Foundation
Students busy with the demanding JC curriculum may find it difficult to keep up with all their subjects, including Economics. They may not be able to find the time to constantly keep up with the concepts, which is required as a strong foundation is the first and most crucial step to success.JC Economics Education Centre will try to strengthen student’s concepts during the lessons, repeating key concepts if necessary to ensure students are clear in their understanding. Constant contact with the syllabus through lessons will keep studentsfamiliar with their concepts, which will be at their fingertips when they need it.Students who attend lessons may have various aims, either to ask questions, to consolidate their understanding or go beyond the school’s curriculum – JC Economics Education Centre will be able to provide help to all students who want to improve their grade in one way or another.
2: Building Bridges with Skills
Now that the foundation is laid through proper and concrete understanding of economics concepts, the next step is to tackle questions. Students find it hard to bridge this gap, as they find it hard to put their economic theories to paper when they see questions. Moreover, theories are rarely symmetrical with reality and students are now expected to reconcile this divergence and seeming opposition. This may indeed be challenging and mind-boggling initially. But as students go through essays and case studies, they will learn how to see the contrast and understand the limitations of the real world, and why ceteris paribus does not hold. As they come into greater contact with questions that are similar to those that will be tested at the end of the day, they will gradually become adept at handling any question that comes their way.
3: For the Sky-High Grade
To reach for that penultimate grade, it is incredibly important for students to be well-versed in the Singaporean Economy. The A Level examinations often test Essay and Case Study questions that require students to be familiar with the workings of the local economy. Students must know the various economic aspects of Singapore, its defining features and the challenges it faces. Lessons thus offer students a window into understanding the Singapore economy, either when Mr Anthony Fok discussesrecent economic events and relates them to Singapore, or when he applies concepts to the local context. Of course, how the Singaporean economy operates can be well understood when students also learn about other economies. Afterall, economies are mutually interdependent, and thus getting in touch with and distinguishing between different economies will help students see the links and apply the concepts they learn. Students are introduced to not only the major ones, like China, USA and Japan, but will also gain insights on other economies like Malaysia or Vietnam. Armed with such knowledge that may not necessarily be emphasized in schools, students have an edge over their peers who are not exposed to such economic realities. Students then have a deeper understanding of how economics is like in real life. Economics is happening in real time as the students prepare for their exams, and they have to use this to their advantage, translating such knowledge to perceptive arguments in their answers. This makes their essays insightful, impressive and thus superior to others.
5: Tools at One’s Disposal
Excelling in anything requires one to first find the right tools. To help students, many tools are available at JC Economics Education Centre. Firstly, students who wish to do extra practice to sharpen their skills are often discouraged from doing so as their teachers may be too busy to mark extra work. However, extra practice is almost always required, and if they do not receive comments, any work is futile as they will not know how to improve. Thus, Mr Anthony Fok takes the time and effort to mark through the work submitted by his students, providing comments so that the student can proceed from their and constantly refine their skills with each practice they undertake.Secondly, students may face obstacles while studying independently, outside of tuition. They may be confused by a concept and this slows down their revision as they are unable to continue without getting the concept right first. Worst, they may ‘move on’ without proper understanding, making for a shaky conceptual foundation. Thus, Mr Anthony Fok is available via text messaging, providing timely help for students who urgently require conceptual explanation.
5: Full Speed before the Big Day
Time is a premium as students struggle to complete their revision before the examination. In order to succeed, students need to use their time wisely, making every second count. JC Economics Education Centre will be here to help students go “full-speed” by offering students targeted model essays and comprehensive, succinct notes. Students are thus able to maximize their revision time, covering as much base in as little time as possible. Intensive revision classes are also provided during the holidays and right before the actual A Levels, so that students can catch up on their learning, and ensure that they are in top form right. This also helps students build up the momentum as they prepare for the examinations, and gives them the assurance they need that they are indeed fully prepared for the actual examination.
- Bachelor of Accountancy (Honours) from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) from National Institute of Education, Singapore.
- Master of Education (Leadership, Policy and Change) from Monash University, Australia.
- Pursuing Doctor in Education.
- Featured on The Sunday Times newspapers as one of the five 'most sought-after tutors' in Singapore.
- Featured on The Sunday Times newspapers as an Economics tutor who puts theory into practice.
- Featured on The Friday Weekly Chinese newspapers as an inspirational and dedicated school teacher.
- Featured on 'TODAY' newspapers for views on "staying ahead of the academic race".
- Featured on 'Singapore Business Review' magazine as a "top tutor who brings economics theories to life".
- Featured on ‘Lianhe Wanbao‘ newspapers as a ‘one-man show’ Economics tutor who “wins students by word-of-mouth recommendation”.
- Featured on 'Today's Parents' magazine for "educating the new generation using unique teaching methodology".
- Featured on 'The New Paper' as a "tutor with a passion for economics".
- Featured on 'Popular Club Magazine' on “How to Master GCE ‘A’ Level Economics”.
- Featured on 'The Straits Times' and 'MyPaper' newspapers on his views about the usefulness of GCE 'A' level Economics ten-year-series.
- Featured on ‘Lianhe Wanbao‘ newspapers as a ‘one-man show’ Economics tutor who “wins students by word-of-mouth recommendation”.
- Featured on Singaporean digital news agency 'mothership.sg' as the "most amazeballs tuition teacher in Singapore".
- Featured on 'The New Paper' newspapers as a "super tutor with a long waiting list of students".
- Featured on 'MediaCorp Channel 5' TV programme as "an educator with extraordinary qualities which puts Singapore in good stead to solidify its reputation as Asia's education hub".
- Featured on 'U-Weekly Magazine' on his views about the tuition industry in Singapore.
- Featured on '8-Days' and 'I-Weekly Magazine' as a tutor who "motivates students to become investors and thinkers".
- Featured on 'Scholarship Guide Magazine' as a renowned economics tutor sharing tips on how to clinch the scholarship.
- Featured on 'The Straits Times' newspapers on conducting the economics intensive revision programme that helps students spot topics by analysing past years' trends.
- "Singapore's Highest Earning Economics tutor" - Official Singapore Book of Records (SBOR) holder.
- "Author of most number of A-level Economics books" - Official Singapore Book of Records (SBOR) holder.
- Panel speaker at National Library Board's 20th Anniversary Celebrations Discussion Forum "Out With Tuition and In With Reading", moderated by Professor Tommy Koh, Ambassador-At-Large, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Guest speaker on 'MediaCorp Channel 5' TV Programme "The 5 Show" about tuition and enrichment classes in Singapore.
- Awarded ISO 9001:2008 for the provision of tuition services by The British Assessment Bureau.
- Registered with the Ministry of Education (MOE), Singapore.
- Guest speaker on “Official 938LIVE” radio segment ‘On the Job’ – “Super tutor Anthony Fok sharing his experience as a full-time Economics tutor”.
- Guest speaker on “Official 938LIVE” radio segment ‘Dollars and Sense’ – “Star Economics tutor Anthony Fok helping students make sense of dollars!”
- Fellow of The College of Teachers, Institute of Education, London, for individuals who have made a significant contribution to educational literature or to educational management at a senior level.
- Singapore Book of Records (SBOR) – Highest Earning Economics Tutor in Singapore
- Singapore Book of Records (SBOR) – Author of most number of A-level Economics books
Membership in Professional Bodies
- Member of the Economic Society of Singapore.
- Member of the American Economic Association.
- Member of the Economic Society of Australia.
- Member of Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development (Singapore).
- Member of Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE).
- Member of Educational Research Association of Singapore (ERAS).
- Mr Anthony Fok has written several Economics model essays guidebook and is the chief author of the H1 and H2 Economics Ten-Year-Series published by Fairfield Book Publishers Pte Ltd.
- Click here to view the Economics books published by the tutor.
To register, please SMS child's full name, school and selected time-slot to 82513684. Thank you.
How is payment made?
Tuition fees should be paid in advance each month, preferably on the first tuition day. You can make your payment either in cash or cheque payable to "JC Economics Education Centre Pte Ltd ". An official receipt will be given upon payment.
Will refunds be offered if students fail to make it for a particular lesson?
Refund of fees when a student is absent due to illness, vacation, holidays, or attendance at school activity. However, students can check with the tutor whether he or she can attend a make up lesson, one within the same week based on that week’s tuition schedule.
Are there any other extra charges/fees?
Other than the monthly fees, a one-time payment of $100 material fee will be required, used to print the year’s learning resources (handouts, worksheets, notes, etc.).
Is there only 1 Economics tutor at JCEconomics.com?
Yes. Mr Anthony Fok is the only tutor teaching all the lessons to ensure that lessons are of quality, that they adhered to his standards.
Is it possible for students to join at any point in the school year?
Students are allowed to join in from any lesson onwards, provided that lessons are not already full. Students should also be aware that starting early will make the learning curve less steep, as miracles cannot be performed one or two weeks before the examination.What distinguishes JC Economics Education Centre from other
The ultimate goal of economics tuition at JC Economics Education Centre is to help students attain the A grade at the A Levels. Mr Anthony Fok is the most highly sought-after Economics tutor in Singapore, and it comes down to his experience, effective teaching methodology and endearing personality. He is not only a mentor, but also a friend to his students.
What is the point of Economics tuition?
Economics tuition is suitable for students who wish to consolidate their learning, go beyond the school’s teaching to gain an edge over their peers or to ask questions when in doubt – all required to attain an A. Students may struggle because they have never taken such a subject before and thus are not familiar with the requirements to do well. Tuition helps to prepare them in various ways, so that they can be confident of doing well in examinations.
Where do the Economics tuition students come from?
Students come from the various schools:
- Hwa Chong Institution (HCJC)
- Raffles Institution (RJC)
- St. Andrew's Junior College (SAJC)
- Anglo Chinese Junior College (ACJC)
- Jurong Junior College (JJC)
- National Junior College (NJC)
- Pioneer Junior College (PJC)
- Anderson Junior College (AJC)
- Victoria Junior College (VJC)
- Temasek Junior College (TJC)
- Serangoon Junior College (SRJC)
- Catholic Junior College (CJC)
- Temasek Junior College (TJC)
- Tampines Junior College (TPJC)
- Innova Junior College (IJC)
- River Valley High School (RVHS)
- Dunman High School (DHS)
- Millennia Institute (MI)
Do you engage other Economics tutors to teach the lessons?
No. All Economics tuition lessons are entirely taught by Mr Anthony Fok. This is to ensure top quality in lesson delivery.
Will there be Economics tuition classes on public holidays?
The Centre will
be closed on all public holidays. If any lesson falls on a public
holiday, a make-up class will be arranged. In the event that a
make-up class cannot be arranged, the fee for that particular
lesson will be refunded to the student.